Admin to bring new tech to classes

By Manal Sheikh, September 18 2014 —

This summer, the U of C published a report called the Framework for Learning Technologies. The strategy outlines 14 priorities to help administration bring more technology into the classroom.

Students’ Union vice-president academic Hana Kadri said the committee hasn’t decided what technologies will be used. However, already existing technologically advanced classrooms will be used as examples.

“In Craigie Hall C, there is an advanced classroom where we have started something that will encourage hands-on experience for students during their studies as part of the learning process,” Kadri said.

Led by the Learning Technologies Task Force and the General Faculties Council (GFC), planning has been in the works since last year.

“The technologies aren’t on the forefront of what we want to do.  We first want to renovate the classrooms that are out of date, and then we would consider implementing the technologies.  There is no fixed schedule as to what classrooms we would like to tackle first,” Kadri said.

Vice-provost of teaching and learning Lynn Taylor said the committee is staying focused on goals rather than specifics.

“We started with asking questions like, ‘what kinds of positive outcomes would we want to achieve by integrating technology?’ instead of focusing on a particular technology,” Taylor said.

While there’s no timeline, Taylor said the university will add new technology to classrooms as soon as possible.