Anna Lunoe brings her aussie stylings to YYC

By Hayden McBennett, January 22 2015 —

Australian DJ and producer Anna Lunoe will bring her vibrant, punchy blends of deep house, rap and future bass to Calgary’s music fans next week.

Lunoe is the first woman to create mixes for the Ministry of Sound Australia (MOSA), a label based in Australia. She has worked with some of the biggest names in dance music, including Calvin Harris, Flume, Kaskade, Eric Prydz, Daft Punk and Diplo.

Lunoe says it’s hard to pick her favourite collaboration.

“They’re all special for their own reason. Sometimes things are really fun one day and really hard the next. Making music is a really weird journey,” Lunoe says.

She got her start working at a radio station called Guerilla FBI and trying to find more music than her brothers.

“The music scene was really fun. It was a good time to give a voice to Sydney music and underground music. And that’s the starting point where I kicked all this off,” Lunoe says.

From producing, mixing and singing on the album, Lunoe’s music evolved throughout the record. The desire to create comes from her
ambition to continually push the limits of her capabilities as an artist.

“It’s been a journey of working out what I can do, pushing myself further and trying to get new skills and find different ways of looking at things. It takes a lot of courage to do that sometimes, and when you feel shitty about everything, it takes a lot of motivation to try,” Lunoe says.

Lunoe plays at Commonwealth on Jan. 28 alongside Destructo, Motez and T.Williams as part of the Ship2Ship tour. Tickets are $18 and are available online at zoobis.com.