Photo courtesy Sam Ao

Badminton Club one of many racquet sport options on campus

By Kristy Koehler, October 4 2018 —

The University of Calgary is a racquet-sports-lovers’ dream. The campus is home to the largest racquet facility in the country, boasting four racquetball courts and 13 squash courts. All levels of racquet experience are accommodated through a variety of programs — the Dinos have a club-level tennis team that competes at a national level, in addition to recreational squash, racquetball and pickleball available through Active Living.

However, if badminton is more your style, the U of C Badminton Club is accepting new members. Club executive Owen Wang said the team saw more than 200 potential players register during fall Clubs Week.

The club has been on campus for six years and Wang has been an executive for two of those years. He says that it’s the continual challenge of improving that keeps him coming back to the game.

“People keep getting better and you want to get better yourself,” Wang said, though making sure to note that all skill levels are welcome to play. “It’s a club for everyone,” he reiterated, explaining that there are also open tournaments twice a year for those players looking for a more challenging experience.  

Though the badminton club is a recreational sport — it doesn’t have varsity- or club-level standing — they don’t rule out the possibility of donning Dinos gear in the future, especially since some of their players have gone on to compete in provincial tournaments.

If you’ve never played but aren’t a stranger to other racquet sports, you might want to add badminton to your repertoire.

“Squash players come and try badminton and it’s an easy transition,” said Wang.

The club hosts three different sessions throughout the week — Tuesdays from 8:30–10:30 p.m., Fridays from 7:30–9:30 p.m. and Sundays from 12–2 p.m. Sessions take place in the Red or Gold gyms. Players are encouraged to bring their own racquets and shoes. Shuttlecocks are provided. Registration is available through the Active Living website.