Benefits and drawbacks of the new e-bike craze

By Yasmine Elsayed, August 26 2019 —

The daily commute is a part of our daily routine. Whether it be from home to school or to work or events, we are always looking for the fastest route or the most affordable ride. Now that climate change is one of the most discussed topics — and for good reason — people are actively looking to make their everyday lives more environmentally friendly. Bikes are a lot cheaper than cars so investing in an e-bike might be a good idea. What is the difference between an e-bike and a regular bike? Well, e-bikes are motorized. 

As with every product, there are pros and cons. Hopefully, by the end of this article, you’ll have decided whether or not you should try one out. 

According to recent studies, bike riding drastically increased after the introduction of e-bikes. Even those who are not fans of bikes started to engage in cycling daily or weekly.  

Pros:

They’re good for urban cities — if you want to get from point A to point B quickly, hop on your e-bike and skip the traffic.  The electronic element doubles your pedaling speed and gets you to your destination without breaking a sweat, but you’re still exercising, you’re just getting extra help to do it. They are better and healthier than a regular motorbike — less fumes, less pollution, clean air and clean lungs. They don’t require a license and they’re always available to take you anywhere. Plus, the ability to charge them means no more gas money. 

Cons: 

E-bikes are not versatile — depending on the area you live in and the climate, cycling, motorcycling and e-bikes might not be an option. They can be quite pricey because of the electronic aspect — double the price of a standard bicycle. Although, they are still a lot cheaper than a motorcycle or a car. 

They are heavy, so if you live in an apartment building that doesn’t have an elevator, it won’t be easy to carry. This con could double as a pro, because if you park it anywhere, it won’t be easy to steal — it depends on how you see things.

They have a low battery life depending on the brand. Some brands have made their e-bikes with better lives than others. However, it is not consistent. And, because of the low battery life, they are made for short distances which means you can’t really e-bike to Banff for example. 

Hopefully, this article has given you enough information to help you decide whether or not you want to try e-bikes. They’re fun and healthy and worth the try.  If you do decide to try it, there’s an app called Lime that helps you rent e-bikes and e-scooters. I would definitely recommend you try it, especially before committing to purchasing one of your own.