Bermuda Shorts Day caps off academic year with beer

By Fabian Mayer, April 6 2016 —

Bermuda Shorts Day is just around the corner, and it plans to be as debaucherous as ever. Preparations are underway for the Students’ Union’s biggest annual event, hosted in Lot 32 on April 13 from 12:00–5:00 p.m.

“[Things] are going really smoothly. We run a really effective event,” McGowan said. “We’re expecting to have a great event.”

This year’s incarnation will feature artists like SmallTown DJs, Mark Mills, the Wet Secrets and the Lemon Bucket Orkestra. Five food trucks are set to attend, with options ranging from tacos to chicken and waffles.

The SU plans to hand out a maximum of 10,000 free wristbands — only available to students — to the event. According to the SU, 7,752 students
attended the event last year, consuming over 15,000 drinks — an average of two drinks per person. That number is down slightly from 2.7 drinks per person in 2013 and 2.4 in 2014.

McGowan said all proceeds from drink sales go to funding the event.

“We’re extremely happy with how BSD runs. We constantly hear from students how it’s one of the most memorable events that they attend,” McGowan said.

Alongside BSD, the university will host its second annual UCalgary Strong Festival  on the same day from 12:00–4.00 p.m. The alcohol-free event hopes to celebrate the end of classes with the entire campus community.

Ashley Humeniuk is manager of health promotion and outreach with the SU Wellness Centre. She helps organize the festival.

“There’s going to be a lot of opportunities for students to connect with each other,” Humeniuk said.

The festival will be held in the Jack Simpson Gymnasium. It will feature live music, an artisan fair, a photo booth and other activities.

This year’s event will include food trucks and activities in the TFDL quad.

The Vitruvian Space — a new multi-faith prayer space below  the Dining Centre — will host what Humeniuk called more contemplative activities, like rock painting and a talking circle.

The inaugural UCalgary Strong festival took place last year and incorporated a memorial to the five victims of the 2014 stabbings in Brentwood. Humeniuk said this year’s festival is more about celebration.

“In years moving forward, including this year, the focus is really on the festival,” Humeniuk said.