Business students to attempt speed-networking world record

By Hayden McBennett, October 9 2014 —

University of Calgary students will have a chance to connect with industry professionals and break a world record on Nov. 20.

The Haskayne School of Business hopes to break a Guinness World Record by hosting the largest ever speed-networking event at one venue.

The Australian Institute of Management holds the current record at 475 participants.

Students’ Union business representative Jasmine Chitroda helped organize the event. She said the idea came to her after a summer internship at the U of C’s Hunter Centre for Entrepreneurship and Innovation.

Speed networking allows professionals and potential corporate partners to make new contacts. Each round lasts three minutes. Participants will sit down with 21 other networkers.

“Being able to break a world record, it’s not something that everybody can say they’ve done. We’re hoping you’ll be able to make some meaningful connections, whether it’s meeting U of C peers or possibly getting ideas on potentially starting a business one day,” Chitroda said.

All faculties are encouraged to take part. First-time networkers are also welcome.

“Networking is valuable for anybody, any major, in any faculty,” Chitroda said.

The event is free for students with registration set to open soon. The business school hopes students will make up at least half of the participants.

As a fourth-year business student, Chitroda offered a word of advice to any networking virgins.

“Be confident. Go into the event knowing what you’re looking to get out of it, whether you’re just there for fun and to try it out. Don’t stress too much about what you’re going to say, conversation just flows naturally,” Chitroda said.