Photo by Dave Richards

Calgary Transit system is affected by weather

By Anand Unnithan, November 7 2019 —

Have you experienced any delays when taking Calgary Transit during snowy days and wondered wondered why? 

It could be because Calgary Transit vehicles are not equipped with winter tires for winter road conditions. There are no plans to implement winter tires either, as they are not effective and they do not have the budget for it, according to Calgary Transit spokesman Stephen Tauro. 

“C-Train operations are generally normal during wintery conditions. However, buses are in traffic with everyone else, thus operators use caution and drive to appropriate conditions,” Tauro said. 

Snow detours are in place for routes and areas that are known to cause troubles, including the hills on Shaganappi Trail in the Northwest, Tauro explained. It is important to recognize that during winter conditions, service is not normal. Week-long changes, discussions among Calgary Transit and extra support from the operations and customer service team are required to serve commuters best, Tauro elaborated. 

He suggested that passengers should add extra time to their planned travel and give adequate time for buses to reach to their destination. Passengers can always call 403-262-1000 and press option 2, or even tweet @calgarytransit to get real-time information about bus arrival or departure times or the status of a particular bus. Passengers can also visit www.calgarytransit.com to learn about any changes or even snow detours, Tauro explained. 

Tauro mentioned that Calgary Transit is open to feedback from customers, who can phone the call centre at 403-262-1000.