Campus construction nears fall semester completion

By Fabian Mayer, August 6 2015 — 

Students returning to classes this fall will notice some changes around campus. The university is taking advantage of most students being away to undertake numerous construction and renovation projects.

Four lecture theatres — Administration 140 and 142 and Science A 104 and 106 — are getting facelifts. The renovations will update the classrooms’ design and install new seating and technology. All the classrooms will be ready for the beginning of the fall semester in early September.

The summer is when the university completes most of its renovations. Mark Scharf is a director with the University of Calgary’s project management office.

“Without the undergraduates, that’s when we really have an opportunity to construct labs and theatres and classrooms. That’s a peak period for us,” Scharf said.

Scharf believes the work will provide an improved space for students.

“Hopefully students see the value in terms of upgraded spaces that make it a better environment for everybody,” Scharf said.

While the lecture theatre renovations are on schedule, the construction of a new multi-faith prayer room will not be completed until October. The new prayer room on the ground floor of the dining centre will replace the one currently in use on the third floor of MacHall.

Scharf cited the location as the principal reason for the delay. Construction needs to be halted occasionally due to events in neighbouring spaces.

Two new U of C residence buildings are also nearing completion. Aurora Hall will house 268 upper-year undergraduate students, while Crowsnest Hall will accommodate 394 graduate students. Students can move into the new buildings starting August 30th.

The $40-million Taylor Institute for Teaching and Learning under construction between MacHall and ICT is 80 per cent built and will be completed in February 2016.