Photo courtesy Gabriel Barletta

Decimate Metalfest coming to Calgary

By Kristy Koehler, June 4 2019—

Calgary metal fans can say something other than yahoo this Stampede season. Decimate Metalfest takes place July 5–7 this year and aims to showcase the best of the underground metal scene.

Festival organizer Sloan Voxx, also the singer for local metal band SYRYN, says that there will be something at Decimate for everyone.

Twenty-five bands are scheduled to take the stage over this three-day festival. Friday and Saturday’s shows are adults-only but Sunday’s lineup is an all-ages affair.

“We’ve got progressive metal, we’ve got thrash, death metal, power metal, metalcore — it’s an array of metal subgenres,” Voxx says.

Now in its second year, Decimate Metalfest takes place at the County Line Saloon.

“Hopefully we appeal both to people who aren’t really all about Stampede and then also the people who want to party afterward,” says Voxx.

Metal fans in country attire?

“Why not?” she says. “I think it’ll be fun. With the new bus line that’s straight up 17th Ave., it’s super easy to get to.”

Decimate has plenty of bands in the festival’s lineup that have never played in Calgary before.

Saskatchewan’s Into Eternity will be the main headliner, touring with their new album for the first time. Local band Hammerdrone headlines Friday and Planet Eater is the feature draw on Sunday’s all-ages event.

Decimate has several bands in their lineup that have never played in Calgary before.

“We thrive on the opportunity to showcase these bands for the first time in our city,” says Voxx.

Tickets are available on showpass.com and in person at Sloth Records and at New Level Brewing. Partial proceeds from Decimate go to Little Mutts Rescue Society. See the full lineup online.

Promotional poster for Decimate Metalfest