Louie Villanueva

Dinos finish season with back-to-back wins

By Sonny Sachdeva, February 5 2015 —

The Dinos men’s hockey team closed out the season with back-to-back 2–1 victories over the University of Regina Cougars on Jan. 29 and 30 at Regina’s Co-operators Centre.

In the first game of the double-header, the Dinos overpowered their opponent with relentless pressure, outshooting the Cougars 40–33.

Dinos forward Alex Dzielski netted the game’s first goal 57 seconds into the first period, collecting the puck behind the net and wrapping it around the post to beat Cougars goaltender Lucas Gore.

The Dinos added to their lead three minutes later when forward Adam Kambeitz pounced on a rebound and wired it into the top of the cage, bringing the score to 2–0.

Dinos captain Kevin King assisted on both of his team’s tallies.

The Cougars managed to answer with a goal of their own 16:18 into the second period. Cougars forward Zach McPhee scored the first goal of his Canadian Interuniversity Sport career to get his team on the scoreboard.

Regina nearly tied it up late in the second when forward Dylen McKinlay broke in alone on Dinos netminder Kris Lazaruk.

McKinley faked a shot and pulled the puck to his backhand before putting it on net, but he was stopped by a slick glove save.

Calgary held on to win game one 2–1.

The two teams continued the fireworks one night later in their final game of the regular season.

Once again, the Dinos got on the scoreboard first after converting on a power play late in the first period. Forward Spencer Edwards scored after taking a pass from Dylan Walchuk and snipped the puck between the pads of Cougars goaltender Mitch Kilgore.

Regina tied it up at 13:01 into the third period, courtesy of a goal from forward Ward Szucki.

The two teams went into overtime with the game tied 1–1.

At 3:08 in the extra frame, forward Chris Collins finished it for the Dinos. Collins took a feed from defenceman Kodie Curran and fired the puck top-shelf for the game winner.

After the two wins, the Dinos finished the season with a record of 20–8, placing them second in the Canada West division.

The second-place ranking gives them a bye through the first round of the playoffs. The Dinos’ next game is on Feb. 27 at Father David Bauer arena when they’ll face off against the higher seeded winner of the quarterfinal series.