David Moll

Dinos swimmer named Rhodes Scholar

By Ashton Chugh, December 4 2014 —

University of Calgary swimmer Bogdan Knezevic has been named a Rhodes Scholar. He is one of 11 Canadian students to earn the distinction this year.

The Rhodes Scholarship pays for two years of graduate school and living costs at Oxford University. Famous recipients include journalist and MP Chrystia Freeland, New Yorker writer Atul Gawande and former U.S. President Bill Clinton.

Knezevic’s family left conflict-ridden Serbia in the 1990s to start a new life in Canada. As they overcame language and cultural barriers, Knezevic said his parents’ perseverance inspired him every day.

“I’m thrilled to be able to pursue my dream of studying medical sciences in a global context at Oxford. I’m very thankful for my supportive family and faculty who encouraged me to apply,” Knezevic said.

Throughout his five-year tenure at the U of C, Knezevic has dominated in both athletics and academics, consistently being named to the Dean’s List with a 4.0 GPA while studying neurosciences.

Knezevic was recently named the Academic All-America of the Year by Capital One. He is also an Academic All-Canadian Scholar athlete for his accomplishments in the pool and is the reigning Canadian Interuniversity Sport 200-metre individual medley champion.

When studying medical sciences across the pond, Knezevic plans to continue swimming.

“My swimming is very important to me. I plan to continue my swimming while at Oxford,” Knezevic said. “I understand there’s a great coach there who can work with me as I train for the 2016 Olympics.”

The Rhodes Scholarship is among the world’s most prestigious student awards. They are given annually to 83 students worldwide who are of outstanding intellect, character, leadership and commitment to service.