Dinos trample Bisons to end losing streak

By Sonny Sachdeva, November 27 2014 —

The University of Calgary’s women’s hockey team grinded out a 3–2 win against the University of Manitoba Bisons at Father David Bauer arena on Nov. 14.

The victory came after a hard-fought 60 minutes that saw both teams struggle for momentum.

“We started the game really well, but I think we became our worst enemy in the second and third,” said Dinos head coach Danielle Goyette. “But after two or three weeks without a victory, we’re going to take that one and enjoy it.”

Dinos captain Iya Gavrilova opened the scoring five minutes into the game, wiring one past Bisons goaltender Rachel Dyck. The goal further cemented Gavrilova’s lead atop the Canada West scoring standings.

Veteran forward Hayley Wickenheiser recorded an assist on the play, wasting no time in her first game back with the team.

According to Goyette, Wickenheiser, who is an Olympic gold medalist and recipient of the Order of Canada, raises the play of her teammates every time she steps on the ice.

“She brings the speed of the game up a little bit faster and pushes everybody to play to the next level,” Goyette said.

Manitoba evened the score before the end of the first period, courtesy of Bisons forward Charity Price.

But Calgary took the lead back in the second.

Dinos forward Jenna Smith, who left the game briefly in the first period after taking a stray puck to the head, broke free after her return to the ice to score the Dinos’ second goal of the game.

A few minutes later, Wickenheiser fed Gavrilova once again as the Russian phenom tallied her 10th goal of the season, stretching Calgary’s lead to 3–1 at the end of the second period.

Dinos goalie Hayley Dowling, who stood strong with a 29-save performance, managed an assist on Gavrilova’s second marker as well.

The Bisons fought back in the third period, squaring up the shots to 30 apiece. Manitoba’s Price got one more on the board midway through the third stanza to cut the Dinos’ lead to one, but Calgary held on to win by a score of 3–2.

“It was definitely nice,” Smith said. “Everyone was getting down in the room. That five-game losing streak was really taking a toll on us, but it was good to come together and get two points. Hopefully from here we can keep going strong into the winter break.”

The Dinos followed up the win with a 3–1 victory over the Bisons on Saturday to complete the sweep. They will  match up against the University of Alberta on Nov. 21 at Father David Bauer arena.