Do your taxes, turkey

By Manal Sheikh, February 12 2015 —

Students and staff looking for help with their tax returns can find it  conveniently located on campus.

From March to April, the SU runs a free volunteer tax program during tax season. It’s student-run and is open on campus six weeks a year for all students, staff and faculty. All volunteers are certified by the Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA).

However, there are a few eligibility requirements. Your income must be under either $30,000 or $45,000, depending on marital and family status. You can’t have foreign property, capital investments or be self-employed. If you meet these conditions, bring your forms on down to the SU’s MacHall office.

Paulinda Du, who’s completing her final year of accounting, has volunteered with the tax program for three years. She’s now a team-lead in the audit department.

“I do the tax program because I think it’s a great way to use what we learn in the university to give back to the campus community,” Du said.

Over 100 CRA-trained volunteers, along with the coordinators and team leads, complete more than 1,000 tax returns for eligible low-income students and faculty members.  The program manages to save about $32,000 in total for the community every year.

“We’re proud to serve the University of Calgary community. It’s a really valuable way to give back,” program coordinator Inderjodh Soora said.

Volunteers are recruited annually and must be completing an undergraduate degree. The hours spent at the program go towards their co-curricular record. They also receive a tax training completion certificate from the CRA.

“Taxes are an extremely important skill to have.  When we enter the working world, its good to have a basic understanding of it so you know where your money goes, and why you are paying them,” Du said. “No matter what major or background you have, its something that affects you at some point.”