Five foods sure to get you in the mood — for sex

By Sara Albright, January 26 2016 —

It’s the most wonderful time of the year at the University of Calgary — Sex Week. In celebration of the occasion, we compiled a list of foods sure to get you in the mood for love.

Shai Barzilay

Shai Barzilay

There’s plenty of vigorous debate over whether these frisky foods — commonly referred to as aphrodisiacs after Aphrodite, the Greek goddess of love — actually increase sexual libido. But a glass of red wine during a romantic oyster dinner will rarely lead you astray.

Cayenne peppers:Like most spicy foods, cayenne peppers are trusted stimulants because they contain capsaicin, a chemical that increases your heart rate and makes you sweat. There’s no doubt these spicy treats will leave you thirsty for more than a tall glass of milk.

Cherries: This springtime fruit is well-known for its sexual undertones, historically representing reproduction and rejuvenation. Plus, it’s been said that if you can tie a cherry stem into a knot in your mouth, you’re a damn good kisser.

Pomegranates: You’ll have plenty of time to get to know your partner if you’re preparing a pomegranate — a rare fruit where the time required to peel it is greater than the time it takes to consume it. But it’s worth the trouble, as beneath the pomegranate’s thick husk is a forest of juicy, mouth-watering seeds.

Chocolate: Word on the street is that chocolate contains serotonin, which can contribute to feelings to contentedness. Bonus points for fondue, which you can use to dip other sensual foods into.

Literally any suggestively shaped food: Bananas. Avocados. Oysters. Carrots. Figs. Spolumbo’s  sausages. Itzakadoozie popsicles. Anything that looks like genitalia is bound to stimulate your senses.