Frosh 2016: Message from Calgary-Varsity

Screen Shot 2016-08-21 at 5.35.48 PMWelcome, incoming students, to the University of Calgary! My name is Stephanie McLean and I am your MLA for Calgary-Varsity. As a U of C alumna, I am honoured to represent our campus in the Alberta Legislature and look forward to connecting with you throughout the academic year.

Education is one of the single most important investments you can make, but we know for some Albertans, accessing college or university can be difficult. By keeping our promise on year two of the tuition freeze, we’re helping to make education more accessible and affordable for Alberta students. We’ve kept our commitment of stable, predictable funding to post-secondary institutions, including a two per cent increase in operating grants in Budget 2016.

Our government is proud to make critical investments in infrastructure and maintenance on Alberta campuses — $449 million this year alone. Projects include $17 million over two years to plan long-overdue redevelopment of the MacKimmie Complex. We’re also pleased Budget 2016 provides roughly $3 million to extend student mental health initiatives on Alberta campuses. Promoting and supporting mental wellness builds a more resilient community — and ensures students remain healthy and successful in their studies. These commitments set a stable foundation to help U of C students put their best foot forward.

My constituency office is located at 101, 5403 Crowchild Trail NW. I would love to connect with you, so please contact my office at 403-216-5436 or e-mail at calgary.varsity@assembly.ab.ca. Additionally, if there are any events you would like me to know about or attend, please contact me.

All the best to you as you start your exciting journey at the University of Calgary.

Stephanie McLean

Tagged: