Frosh 2016: Tri-media alliance

By Jason Herring

The University of Calgary is home to three media outlets — including the one that made this nifty little booklet. All have opportunities for student volunteering, training and employment and are always open to visits. If you want to stop by, we’re all on the third floor of MacHall above the Black Lounge. None of these services could run without the help of volunteers, and all three are funded by a student levy. They’re valuable resources for learning, as well as great sources of entertainment and information. Here’s a little bit on each of the outlets.

CJSWFROSH_Icons_CJSW

If you’re involved in Calgary’s music scene, chances are you’re familiar with CJSW 90.9 FM, the U of C’s community radio station. CJSW supports the city’s independent arts scene by broadcasting music, spoken word and multicultural programming directed towards members of the U of C and the larger Calgary community. They’re also mainstays at events like Sled Island and the Calgary Folk Music Festival.

Like most independent radio stations, CJSW’s programming is eclectic. While it’s unlikely you’ll enjoy everything on the station, with content ranging from metal to classical to hip-hop, you’re sure to find something you like. And finding new tunes is easy now that CJSW has launched a spiffy new website.

Volunteers at CJSW learn about audio production, sound engineering, maintaining music libraries, writing for radio and more. Long-time volunteers even have the opportunity to get some air-time of their own.

NUTVFROSH_Icons_NUTV

If you’ve walked through MacHall before, you’ve probably seen part of what NUTV does on the screens all around the building. NUTV runs those TVs, and they also produce web content and host industry training in their studio.

NUTV is an exceptional training ground for those interested in various aspects of visual media, both in front of and behind the camera. The studio often brings industry professionals to their offices to run workshops and teach lessons from sound mixing to directing and editing video. Access to NUTV training sessions comes with a $10 yearly membership. Add on the studio’s acting and writing opportunities, and you’ve got a creative avenue for anything you want to do.

The station also hosts several film festivals and competitions throughout the year, with screenings usually happening on campus. It’s a great way to see what students are creating.

If you’re reading this, you’ve probably heard about the Gauntlet, the third — and undoubtedly the loosest — member of the Tri-media alliance. We’re an independant newspaper that publishes in print on Thursdays weekly during the school year, covering news, opinions, entertainment, sports, humour and photography. We also put breaking news stories online throughout the week.

FROSH_Icons_GauntletThis supplement is a small part of what we do, but it illustrates our main focus which is creating content that is unique and relevant to university students. We cover everything from Students’ Union politics to local music festivals to administrative scandals and Dinos athletics.

If student journalism appeals to you, we’re always looking for more voices from around campus to contribute to our paper. We teach volunteers how to write stories, conduct interviews, take print-grade photos, edit copy and more.

We hold volunteer orientations at 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday nights — come on in to learn how a newspaper runs and eat free pizza. You can pick up our print issues on stands around campus or go to www.thegauntlet.ca for all of our stories around campus.

Tagged: