Frosh 2016: Welcome from the SU president

By Stephan Guscott —

Welcome to the University of Calgary! I’m Stephan Guscott, your Students’ Union president.

It’s my job to do everything I can to make your experience here transformational. FROSH_Missing_StephanWelcome

For some, that may be through all the new best friends you’ll make at one of the best campus bars in the country: the Den and Black Lounge. For others, you can get an instant connection to other students by joining an SU club — there’s over 300 of them — or give back by signing up for a volunteer opportunity at SU Volunteer Services. Your SU exists to empower you to change this campus by putting your ideas to action and I can guarantee you will love your time and the people you meet along your journey if you take the opportunity to do just that.

We are also your voice when the important decisions are made. Whether it’s your dean, the university president, the mayor or the premier, your SU will be in the room making sure your voice is heard.

Your SU listens acutely to your feedback and ideas: every single program, service or advocacy effort we work on once started as a student idea. A prime example: MacHall. This hub of student life once started as a student idea in the 1950s and continues to be run by your SU today, with programs and services tailored to your needs.

It’s our vision for you to have the best university experience possible and to be your support base along the way. I may represent over 25,000 students, but I will always make time for you. Send me a text at 403-390-8576, an email to supres@ucalgary.ca or come introduce yourself in person, especially if you run into me on a Thursday night!

Tagged: