Pg25_TRIMEDIA_Gauntlet_MariahWilson-9888

Frosh 2017: Tri media alliance

By Jason Herring

Like most respectable post-secondary institutions, the University of Calgary has a few media outlets. Dubbed the tri-media alliance, CJSW, NUTV and the Gauntlet all offer volunteer, training and employment opportunities and are located above the Black Lounge on MacHall’s east third-floor. These organizations rely heavily on both student levies and volunteer contributions to thrive and are great sources of information and entertainment.

CJSW

The best-known of the U of C’s media outlets is CJSW 90.9 FM, the school’s community radio station. CJSW is entrenched in Calgary’s arts scene, broadcasting music, spoken word and multicultural programming created by and for students and Calgarians. You’ve probably seen their presence at music festivals like Calgary Folk Fest.

Programming on CJSW is eclectic, with its shows capturing everything from campus life to feminist and queer punk music to rockabilly and country tunes. You won’t enjoy everything on the station, but there’s a good chance that there’s a show or two you’ll adore. If you want to listen away from the radio, CJSW now saves and streams all their shows on their website.

CJSW volunteers have the opportunity to learn about sound engineering, writing for radio, maintaining music libraries and more. Dedicated volunteers even have a chance to host their own show.

NUTV

If you’ve ever noticed the TVs hanging around MacHall that provide both campus information and short videos, you’ve seen part of what NUTV does. The campus television production organization runs and produces content for those screens, but also hosts a wide range of events and offers top-notch training opportunities.

For those interested in visual media — both in front of and behind the camera — NUTV hosts workshops and training sessions teaching students how to shoot, edit and direct video. A $10 yearly membership grants you access to all of those services. There’s also writing and acting opportunities for the station’s mini-shows.

NUTV also holds several film festivals and competitions throughout the year. Screenings are usually on campus — it’s well worth it to stop by one of them to see what your peers are creating.

THE GAUNTLET

That’s us! We’re the third — and, indisputably, the loosest — member of the tri-media alliance. We’re an independent, student-run publication that releases monthly print magazines covering news, opinions, arts, sports, humour and photography. We also release stories on thegauntlet.ca every day of the week during the semester.

This supplement — and the magazine that it came in — showcase what we pride ourselves on doing, which is creating content that’s unique and relevant to Calgary post-secondary students. We cover everything from U of C administration to on-campus art and from the Dinos to student politics.

If writing, editing or photography is up your alley, we’re always looking for more contributors. We teach volunteers how to structure stories, take high-quality photos, copy edit, conduct interviews and more. Volunteer orientations are every Tuesday at 5:00 p.m. — we’d love to see you around!