Frosh 2017: Welcome from EIC

By Jason Herring —

Hello! Welcome to the University of Calgary. Pg3_FROSH_JasonHerringWelcome_MariahWilson-3761The first week of school can be overwhelming. There’s a lot of people giving you a lot of unsolicited advice, coupled with the stress of being in an unfamiliar environment and adapting to a new routine. You’ll get the hang of it.

Post-secondary is a step up from high school in every way. You’re exposed to a lot more opportunities. You’re given a lot more freedom — to excel or to fail. There’s going to be more people who like the same things you do. The world gets bigger.

It’s your responsibility to make the most of these opportunities. When it comes to university, you get out what you put in. It’s worth struggling through awkward first conversations and silly icebreakers to find the people that will make your four — or more — years here enjoyable.

Most of this happens outside the classroom. While it’s important not to fall behind on academics, it’s also worthwhile to take the time to let loose, join a few clubs and experiment with new ideas or hobbies during your time here.

We make this magazine every year to pass on important information, tips and tricks and bad jokes to new students. Many of us have already spent three or four years at this school, and we hope our advice deviates from the platitudes you’ve probably heard during much of your introduction to campus life.

Enjoy your time at the U of C and don’t take yourself too seriously. And if you ever need something to do, come volunteer with the Gauntlet in our shiny new office. You’ll be glad you did.