Frozen yogurt on its way

By Fabian Mayer, June 4 2015 —

Everybody’s favourite quasi-healthy dessert is coming to campus. Frozen yogurt will be available in MacHall starting in the winter semester of 2016. Students’ Union vice-president operations and finance Sarah Pousette made the announcement at last week’s Students’ Legislative Council.

Happy Hut, MacHall’s Indian food option, is being sold to new owners. The new vendor, called Sweet and Savory, will continue offering Indian food in the same location starting in September. Frozen yogurt won’t be available until the winter semester.

“We have actually had a number of students over the last couple years request frozen yogurt,” Pousette said. “We’re quite excited to see how that works out.”

Pousette said extensive renovations are required before frozen yogurt can be served.

Happy Hut’s owners sold the space privately, but the SU operate the building and have significant influence over what vendors occupy MacHall.

“We make sure that when they sell to a new person that that person can take on the responsibility of the business,” Pousette said.

Pousette receives a lot of e-mails from food vendors looking to set up shop in MacHall’s food court.

“There’s tons of people interested in being in this space,” Pousette said.

The most recent vendor added to MacHall, Smoke’s Poutinerie, has been closed since the end of the school year. Pousette said no decisions have been made about the vendor’s future in MacHall.

“We’re currently talking to the owner about when, and if, he’ll reopen,” Pousette said. “We’re just starting those conversations.”

When vendors do leave MacHall, the SU puts out a call for applications and determines what food options to introduce. Pousette hinted at the kind of vendor that may be chosen to replace those that close down.

“Students are really focused right now on healthy options,” Pousette said. “The other thing that we would look at is would [the vendor] do well here.”