Get out and have fun this August

By Liv Ingram and Connor Sadler, August 7, 2014 —

With the fall semester just a calendar flip away, you’re running out of time to have awesome summer adventures. But don’t despair, August is full of events that will help you squeeze every last ounce of fun out of your summer vacation.

Inglewood Night Market (August 8): Ride your bike down to Inglewood for street food, artisan vendors and live music for dancing in the streets.

Afrikadey! (August 9): A celebration of African culture featuring a variety of musical guests.

BikeBike’s Famous Full Moon Ride (August 9): Hop on your bike and meander Calgary’s pathways by the light of the moon. Bring BBQ-ables to share.

Chinatown Street Festival (August 9): Featuring food, vendors and live entertainment in historic Chinatown.

Acoustic Guitar Project final concert (August 10): Ten musicians perform the songs they composed during one week of writing.

Marda Gras (August 10): The Marda Gras Street Festival celebrates the culture, music and cuisine of New Orleans.

Drive-In Movies at Deerfoot Mall (August 11): Every Wednesday night in August you’re invited to turn up your car stereo and tune into cult-classics. The first screening features Jaws.

Mountain View Festival (August 12): The festival features classical songs and chamber music in Carstairs, Alberta.

CUFF and Bass Bus present a horror movie field trip (August 14): The Bass Bus will take you to Cobb’s Corn Maze for beers, music and a screening of the 1988 horror film Pumpkinhead.

Adults Only Night at Telus Spark (August 14): Geek out and enjoy the full bar. Also, be the first to try out Brainasium’s 60-foot slide before it’s open to the public.

Calgary Reggaefest (August 14-17): Get in touch with your inner Rastafarian and enjoy a weekend of reggae.

Taste of Calgary (August 14-17): The city’s outdoor food and drink festival is back for its 18th year at Eau Claire’s Festival Plaza.

Spaghetti Western Festival (August 18-19): The Stampede only comes once a year, but this festival gives you another chance to break out your
cowboy hat and listen to local country music.

GlobalFest: (August 14 – 23): GlobalFest showcases more than 60 cultures and features a spectacular fireworks show.

Pride Calgary (August 27-31): Celebrate Calgary’s LGBTQ community and take part in events such as Gay History Walk and the Pride Parade.

Hip Hop Karaoke (August 25): Come sip some gin and juice as local wannabe rap stars flex their skills.

Drum & Monkey 15th Anniversary Party (Aug. 31): If you’ve ever been to Dub at the Pub, you know these guys can party.