Heroes of the Storm emphasizes teamwork and communication

By Emilie Medland-Marchen, June 4 2015 —

Online gaming has a new addition to its roster. Blizzard’s new Multi Online Battle Arena (MOBA) game, Heroes of the Storm, officially launched on June 2 after an open beta testing period that began on May 19.

Heroes of the Storm is similar to a typical MOBA game in set up. Players are divided into two teams, where they each control a single character. The team’s goal is to traverse the map and destroy their opponent’s main structure while preventing the other team from doing the same.

Players must adjust to a new map every time a new game starts. This requires different sets of skills and encourages adaptability. Unlike similar games, including the immensely popular League of Legends, Heroes of the Storm relies heavily on team communication and coordination.

Each player must choose a hero before starting a game. Heores are characters possessing unique attributes and abilities that give them situational advantages.

Characters in Heroes of the Storm are taken from popular Blizzard games like World of Warcraft, Diablo and Starcraft. The heroes are then pitted against each other in the online battle arena.

Look at these sweet characters. If you play Heroes of the Storm, you can be one too. // Marco Verch

Popular characters like Nova Terra from Starcraft and the Lich King from World of Warcraft have been adapted to fill roles in a new environment. Players who are already familar with these characters will enjoy playing them in a team-based battleground.

The range of heroes in the game represent a plethora of types that will satisfy fans of any play style. Gamers who enjoy healing and supporting their teammates will find refuge in intricate heroes like Brightwing or Malfurion. And those who like playing with more offense will respond well to the balance and power of heroes like Kerrigan and Stiches.

Heroes of the Storm sets itself apart from other MOBAs in its approach to team composition. While most games allow players to choose their own group, the team-making process is automated in Heroes of the Storm. This results in a smoother gaming experience with less toxicity, allowing gamers to enjoy the game with minimal harassment. It also results in shorter games that last only 30 minutes on average.

Capturing the objectives that propel the game forward and killing enemies are split up evenly among heroes, further emphasing the need for a balanced team and cooperation. Unlike League, games cannot be won by a single star player. Instead, players must work together, capturing objectives with coordinated plays.

Both gameplay and graphics are smooth in the impressive release. Heroes of the Storm offers something for everyone in an environment that rewards teamwork instead of individual skill. Casual players are integrated into online play in a relatively welcoming environment. And more experienced players can put their skills to the test in a large eSports community.

Heroes of the Storm is an exciting game that brings something new to the online gaming realm. So drop the League community and give it a shot.

Tagged: ,