The Gauntlet is hiring the position of News Editor for the 2017/2018 publishing year.
The Gauntlet’s News Editor will be responsible for producing or soliciting a set number of news stories throughout our academic publishing year. They will train volunteers in news writing and editing. They will produce the news section in the Gauntlet‘s magazine. They sit on the Gauntlet’s editorial board and contribute to the publication editorially. They supervise up to two news assistants and volunteer writers and report directly the Gauntlet’s Editor-in-Chief.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Filling a quota of eight news stories per week during production periods
- Assigning and editing all news copy
- Notifying the graphics and photo departments of photo and illustration requests, allowing reasonable preparation time.
- Coordinating the magazine’s news section
- Producing at least one feature for the magazine
- Dropping content into the news section of the magazine
- Circulating flats of news pages in the magazine and making changes accordingly
- Maintaining news contacts and files in an organized manner
- Attending Students’ Legislative Council, Board of Governors and General Faculties Council meetings, with exceptions for special circumstances or when sending the news assistant for training purposes
- Keeping abreast of campus, city, provincial, national and international events and news which may be relevant to the news section
- Ensuring there is an up-to-date news guide
- Producing at least one story a month for the Gauntlet‘s radio show on CJSW
- Sending at least two emails a week to volunteers with story ideas
- Recruiting and training new writers
- Meeting with volunteer writers as often as necessary to ensure their skills are improving
- Attending weekly editorial meetings
- Exceptional written and visual communication skills
- Experience with news writing
- Ability to work flexible hours
- Working with and training volunteers
- Familiarity with the University of Calgary
- Experience with Adobe InDesign an asset, but not required
The position is full-time salaried starting August 16, 2017.
Please submit your resume, three samples of written work and a cover letter outlining your interest in the Gauntlet and this position to Editor-in-Chief Jason Herring at email@example.com. Feel free to contact us with any other inquiries you may have.
The application deadline is Monday July 31, 2017 at 5:00 PM. Interviews will be conducted in early August.
The Gauntlet is an equal opportunity employer. Everyone is thanked for applying; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.