Courtesy Miguel Raul Grandon Barbon

Lego building competition showcases kid in us all

By Nikayla Goddard, January 24 2017 —

Spark your inner youth at the 11th Annual Silver Springs Community Association Lego Competition on Jan. 28. The competition will welcome Lego enthusiasts of all ages to unlock their inner child.

Last year’s competition drew around 150 registrants and 500 spectators from across Calgary, garnering entries from 30 different Calgary communities.

Event organizer Sherry Gazlin says the competition is a great opportunity for a family day out.

“It was started originally because parents were trying to think of a family thing to do in winter,” she says.

Gazlin says the competition helps families bond by constructing something and then seeing the final results.

Judging will take place at the Silver Springs Community Association on Jan. 28 from 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. The displays will be open to the public from 12:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. Judges are always local, with a representative from Bricks4Kidz — an after-school Lego program — on the panel along with other Lego enthusiasts.

Gazlin added that some participants, particularly older builders who construct works made from thousands of pieces, stick around during the viewing to chat with spectators about their hobby.

During the competition, first, second and third place ribbons are given out, along with a first place prize for every age group. Themes for this year’s constructors are structures, transportation, cool scenes and “all things Canada.”

The competition is accepting entries until Jan. 27. If you wish to enter, check out the SSCA website for the registration form.