Courtesy Morpheus Theatre

Morpheus presents a Skin Flick

By Fernando Moreno, February 14 2017 —

What would you do get some extra spending money? Skin Flick follows a couple — Robbie and Daphne — experiencing economic difficulties who decide that the best way to get out of it is to make a porno. Skin Flick plays at the Joyce Doolittle Theatre until Feb. 18.

“It takes place in the mid-’90s before you could get a lot of pornography easily through the Internet. The show is about when you still had to go and rent a skin flick,” director Alice Nelson says. “[It’s about] lower-class folks trying to make a buck.”

As the play explores the topic of pornography, Nelson says those involved will have to take some risks. She hopes audiences will come in with a open mind.

“You shouldn’t judge a book by it’s cover. [This] is just your typical blue-collar family who are just trying to make ends meet,” she says. “They’re just like you and me,”

Nelson says that though the subject of pornography is often taboo, the characters create their “flick” in a way that audiences can relate to.

“[It has] a kind of innocence to it. Their human quality and naïveté is what kinds of makes them really endearing. I hope people go away more than anything having had a really good laugh because the play is so funny,” she says.

The play was written by Canadian playwright Norm Foster. Nelson says the experience of theatre is unique.

“Theatre doesn’t take a lot of risks right now because I think it’s just hard in general to get audiences out to shows,” Nelson says. “I believe you can’t beat that experience of the live performance and experience it with a group of people laughing right beside you and seeing live performers who’ve spent hours and hours and you’re never going to see it the same way. It’s a really cool community experience.”

Nelson adds, “this is an ideal show to take a date to” — for those over the age of 18.

Skin Flick will play at the Joyce Doolittle theatre until Feb. 18.

For more information, visit morpheustheatre.ca