New Music: Frank Ocean

By Gurman Sahota, September 13 2016 —

After brining the world Channel Orange, Frank Ocean has finally released his second album in his much anticipated return to music.ENT_FrankOcean

Not unlike Ocean’s first album, which was smooth in its consumption, Blonde features the familiar wordplay Ocean is known for with the rawness of simple instrumentals.

Striking up political cords with opening track “Nikes,” the album reflects a more relaxed tone despite its complex lyrics. The pomp and frills of an eclectic musical accompaniment are lacking.It is in the style of intentional minimalism which makes the album a fine guest for a Sunday morning listen.

It’s a somewhat sudden release akin to Beyonce’s Lemonade that came with minimal publicity. A foil to the powerful ballads by Queen Bey, Ocean defines his genre with casual mixes and heartfelt choruses featured in songs such as “Ivy” and “Self Control.”

The only jarring song comes much later in the album, as it  wakes the listener from slumber and shifts the tone from background music to forefront attention. It is a much welcomed change in pace and Ocean resumes the simplistic musical tone after focus is returned in case listeners begin to drift away from the music.

For those of who require music to study without being a distraction, Blonde is versatile in how it can be used to focus, while still being entertaining enough to be a stand-alone listening activity.