ENT_Thriller_courtesy_Thrill-Calgary_web
october 23 2014, flash mob, thriller

No mere mortal can resist the evil of a “Thriller” dance mob

By Connor Sadler, October 23 2014 —

In the spirit of Halloween, an estimated 200 Calgarians will dress as zombies and dance to Michael Jackson’s iconic “Thriller” as part of a world record attempt on Oct. 25.

Thrill Calgary, the organization behind the flash mob, is part of Thrill The World, a group that syncs up cities across the world to dance to “Thriller” at the same time.

A global flash mob takes place every year in an attempt to host a record number of participants. The Guinness World Record for the world’s largest “Thriller” dance stands at 13,597 participants.

Thrill Calgary’s flash mob has been increasing in popularity since 2009. The inaugural event was held at Canada Olympic Park on a snowy day. According to Thrill Calgary director T.J. Madigan, the event only had “70 cold, wet dancers, but it was a start.”

Thrill The World began in Toronto in 2006 as a tribute to Michael Jackson. The phenomenon has spread to other events.

Thrill Calgary has performed flash mobs during Flames games, the Stampede Parade and Calgary Comic Expo.

“We’ve done dance mobs to other popular songs like “Gangnam Style” or “What Does The Fox Say?”,” Madigan says. “But we always stay true to our “Thriller” roots at Halloween.”

Despite being released in 1984, “Thriller” dances hold a wide appeal for zombie aficionados both young and old.

“It’s crazy, but the majority of our participants weren’t born when “Thriller” came out. But it’s the title track of the biggest-selling album of all time. There’s something timeless about that song,” Madigan says.

“There’s no Halloween sight more epic than hundreds of “Thriller”-dancing zombies taking over the centre court of a mall.”

Interested participants are asked to learn the dance through online video tutorials before attending.

The event takes place in the centre court of South Centre Mall. There will be a practice at 1:30 p.m., with the dance mob happening at 4:00 p.m. sharp.