NoD magazine seeks submissions

By Diltaj Atwal, May. 29, 2014 —

NoD is the University of Calgary’s undergraduate creative writing magazine, published by the English department. The magazine provides an outlet for undergraduate students and artists to publish their poetry, prose and visual art.

Building on the publication’s legacy, incoming managing editor Athena Genevieve says NoD is in transition.

“I’m hoping, in the future, to create a digital archive. We have our work online so people can showcase pieces that they have published in the past,” says Genevieve.

NoD is accepting submissions for issue #18. Called “The Gender Issue,” it will come out this fall. NoD is looking for submissions that explore the social and political issues surrounding gender identity, confront and challenge heteronormative and patriarchal constructs, and delve into LGBTQ and feminist narratives. Submissions are open to U of C students and the public.

“[We are] looking to continue pushing boundaries with our creative work,” says Genevieve. “Sex and gender is an incredibly important topic. [NoD] just wants to be part of that vibrant environment and show that this discussion matters to us. There are lots of unique ways to communicate your perspective on sex and gender issues.”

The magazine can be ordered through the university and English department websites. NoD is sold at Pages in Kensington and the University of Calgary Bookstore.

In the future, Genevieve says NoD would like to collaborate with other literary groups or arts organizations in the city. In addition to submissions, NoD is looking for new volunteers.