NUTV revamps programming with new live show

By Ala Buzreba, October 24 2014 —

NUTV, the University of Calgary’s campus television station, is revamping its programming with a new live show. After 19 years on the air, Studio 315 will replace Full Frontal as the station’s flagship program. While Studio 315 marks a new direction for NUTV’s live show, the program will feature familiar Full Frontal segments such as the student cooking show Bite Me and Sports!, a Dinos sports segment.

New segments include The News — a Stephen Colbert-like comedy segment — where host and third-year film studies student Kristen Muncy talks to students while portraying a clueless reporter, and Awake, a superhero drama where the protagonist can stay awake for a long time. Griffin Cork, an apprentice with Alberta Theatre Projects, will host and do live interviews. Every episode will feature music from local folk band I Am The Mountain.

U of C students are welcome to be a part of the live studio audience by going to NUTV studios on the third floor of MacHall at 6:45 p.m. on production days. The show airs every two weeks. Live shows will be recorded on Nov. 4, Nov. 18 and Dec. 2. Studio 315 will resume in the spring semester beginning Jan. 27. The show can also be seen on on Shaw channels 10 and 89 or on NUTV’s Facebook and Youtube pages.

Fourth-year english student and NUTV communications coordinator Dane Thibeault says he hopes Studio 315 will get students interested in NUTV and encourage them to volunteer.

“Here at NUTV we love to inspire people to get involved,” Thibeault says. “There are just so many resources available here that students can tap into.”

Operating as a full television studio, NUTV has professional equipment that students can use to learn about the ins and outs of television production.

For more information on volunteering and NUTV’s programs visit nutv.ca