Phase two of Science A refurb in the works

By Josh Teitz, October 16 2014 —

Science A may soon get a major renovation. Students’ Union faculty of science representatives have been meeting with Campus Planning regularly to discuss the future of the building.

Plans call for an expansion that will add study space, four lecture theatres, a computer lab and a café. The second-floor undergraduate labs will be renovated and an extra floor will be added to the building for research labs.

“Science A is definitely a space that requires a lot of renewal. I think it meets a lot of the needs of students, but at the same time it’s a 50-year-old building that does need maintenance,” said SU science representative Amy Li.

A three-storey atrium will provide natural light to the centre of the building. The exterior of the building will also get a facelift.

The proposed renovations — phase two of Science A’s redevelopment — are expected to cost $152 million.

Phase one of the project finished in April 2013 at the cost of $18.1 million. It included 11 new classrooms, two new staircases, washroom renovations, a new elevator and upgrades to the building code.

Funding hasn’t been allocated for phase two, but associate vice-president facilities development Stephen Dantzer described Science A’s redevelopment as their highest priority among major preservation projects.

“Until this major redevelopment funding is awarded, construction on phase two renovations to Science A cannot begin and portions of this building will remain closed,” Dantzer said.

Built in 1960, Science A is the second-oldest building on campus.