Reggae concert benefits homeless

By Jason Herring, June 18 2015 —

Iwango JahFire embodies the ideology behind reggae music. He’s been performing reggae as a member of veteran Calgary band Strugglah for over 20 years and has recently turned his focus to using the band’s music to conduct charity work.

“I wanted to do something humanitarian with the band,” JahFire says. “Something for the band apart from the entertainment side, to use our music to build and to repair.”

JahFire founded the Reggae for the Homeless benefit concert six years ago, an event he’s organized every year since. The concert raises money for the Mustard Seed, a non-profit organization dedicated to combating homelessness in Calgary.

“With Reggae for the Homeless, we can bring about some awareness with regards to those out there on the streets,” JahFire says. “Our band’s name is Strugglah, and that’s where some of the inspiration comes from. Together we struggle, but together we overcome.”

JahFire, who grew up on the small Caribbean island of Nevis, says he wanted to show his appreciation for Calgary and support the work done by the Mustard Seed. He believes the best way he can show his support is through the positivity of reggae music.

“Our lyrics are global, talking about unity and love and respect and caring. The music is right for the event and it was an inspiration for me to come up with this idea,” JahFire says.

JahFire hopes his charity work can help improve the quality of life for everyone in the city.

“Reggae for the Homeless is one of the ways I show my appreciation for what life has done for me. I just want to give that back to the community.”

The Reggae for the Homeless benefit concert will take place at the Ironwood Stage and Grill on June 23 at 7:00 p.m. Tickets are $20 at the door.