SLC talks UBike extension in May 21 meeting

By Gurman Sahota, May 22 2019 —

Students’ Legislative Council’s May 21 meeting wrapped up neatly with ample discussion amongst the councillors regarding UBike, a Quality Money project.

The meeting began with second readings of the representative appointments for the Haskayne School of Business and the Faculty of Social Work, solidifying the roles for Huzaifah Abbas and Marie Beaupre-Olsen, respectively. Second readings of the Students’ Union bylaw amendments were also done.

Following the readings, President Jessica Revington introduced and council discussed extending the Quality Money project, UBike, again with a new completion date of March 31, 2021. UBike, formerly The Bike Share, provides members with bike rentals on and off campus. The program, run by the UBike club with the help of the Office of Sustainability, began in July 2017 with a grant of $17,510 and now has a surplus of $7441.18. UBike sought a two-year extension in order to mainly cover insurance and maintenance costs of the bikes with the surplus amount.

This will be the program’s second extension, after receiving a six-month extension to March 31, 2019 from the original completion date. If UBike is unable to utilise the grant surplus by the newest completion date, funds remaining will be returned to the Students’ Union and invested into future Quality Money programming.

Since the Quality Money Committee will be struck in Fall 2019, it is the responsibility of SLC to act upon the extension at this time. Discussion primarily revolved around the extension timeline as well as an outline of the funds over the two-year extension period.

The council voted in favour of extending UBike to March 31, 2021.

SLC meeting minutes and documents can be found here. The next SLC meeting will be on June 4 at 6:30 p.m. in the Executive Council Chambers in MacHall.