Anti-Bush not anti-American

Rick Mercer, a CBC comedian, gained the most attention for his series of segments and subsequent special, Talking to Americans.

It tapped a secret joy of Canadians, consisting of Mercer illustrating the ignorance of the American public, and sometimes their leaders, by asking questions with misleading preambles. It is questionable whether Canadians would have answered differently to the same questions, but we loved the fact Americans were so clueless when it came to the world outside the USA.

Then there was the incident where a Canadian bureaucrat called American President George W. Bush a moron. And there was Carolyn Parrish, an MP who appeared on a comedy show and said "damn Americans, I hate those bastards."

Then Canada declared it was not going to support the newest American offensive in the Middle East and it became official: Canada was anti-American.

Those who support the idea of anti-Americanism hold that nations of the world are against America's projects not based upon the merits of those projects but solely because America is the one pursuing them. So, Canadian refusal was no longer based on a rational consideration of national interests, it was based instead on the vitriol of the Chretien government towards everything American.

Of course, the Canadian involvement in the invasion of Afghanistan helps us see through the fog.

Anti-Americanism is no more than a myth, created by conserva-tives who believe in the righteous-ness of all American actions. They create a false dichotomy because of their own belief that the world is divided into purely good and purely evil.

It's understandable we should be worried about anti-Americanism. Freud described a phenomenon he labelled the narcissism of minor difference. Under this situation, the most minor of differences is magnified so one group can distinguish itself from another, although they are actually quite similar.

This is serious business. It is most often used in reference to the disintegration of Yugoslavia in the 1990s. The narcissism of minor difference is also present in Canada, albeit in a less aggressive form than in the former Yugoslavia.

In Canada, it is based on political culture rather than culture itself. We are proud of the more egalitarian social system we have created. If Canada were truly anti-American, we would see the rejection of American popular culture. Instead, Canadian television networks are filled with American programming. The disagreement over one policy item (the Iraq war) does not indicate, to me, a pressing problem of anti-Americanism.

If there is something a lot of Canadians oppose, it's the re-election of George W. Bush. His aggressive post-September 11 policies are the source of the decline in the popularity of American government, not only in Canada but also around the world. The international community, in general, is anti-Bush, though not generally anti-American. It is an important distinction to make as charges of anti-Americanism are hurled by the likes of David Frum.

The bottom line is there exist reasonable disagreements over issues in public and foreign policy. Those who charge others with anti-Americanism want to paint a picture where there are only two options: see through the fog they try to create and realize there are hardly ever two answers to a yes or no question.

To Whom It May Concern:

I am an American student, writing to you from California. This column was interesting, but a bit baffling.

The title of the column, "Anti-Bush not anti-American," does not reflect the overall stance that the author takes. For instance, Mons. Jankovic claims not to be anti-American solely because he watches American television. However, he begins his article with the implication that all Americans are clueless. Jankovic states, "WE LOVED the fact Americans were so clueless when it came to the world outside the USA." This statement does not reflect an attitude against the president alone, but a false belief about the American public. Yes, their are those who don't know a damn thing, but many who are very aware of the attitudes, issues, politics, and events that exist beyond US borders. There is hardly ever just a black or white answer to anything. Right? In other words, it would be inaccurate to generalize your beliefs about Americans because we ARE all very different. Therefore, are you actually anti-American?

To be honest, I am worried about the outcome of the "war on terror." I too hope that Bush is not re-elected and hope that changes in American society occur for the benefit of all around the world. I alone, nonetheless, cannot change America.

What would you do if you were in my shoes as an American?

-Steve

i am american, some of us are aware that bush is the worst president our country has ever had!! For the most part i blame the media for our ignorance.