News
CASE hopes to educate students on sexual consent before BSD.
Michael Grondin/the Gauntlet

Club campaigns for sexual consent

The Consent Awareness and Sexual Education club (CASE) is working with the Students’ Union to promote healthy sexual behaviour prior to and during Bermuda Shorts Day.

CASE’s Got Consent? campaign aims to inform students about sexual consent during the SU event.

“We came up with a banner and poster campaign promoting Got Consent?” CASE vice-president marketing Claire Gjertsen said. “We’re also going to be distributing goodie bags during BSD.”

Club members have been handing out information pamphlets, candy and customized condoms to students picking up their BSD wristbands.

CASE vice-president events Tonie Minhas said consent awareness is particularly important at big drinking events like BSD.

“The root of the issue is that if someone is drunk they cannot give consent,” Minhas said. “We’d really like to get that thought in people’s heads before they start drinking or engage in any sort of sexual behaviour.”

CASE hopes to establish a partnership with the SU next year to incorporate consent awareness into their responsible drinking campaign.

“It’s something we’re looking at,” SU president Raphael Jacob said. “It’s certainly a component of consuming alcohol safely, I don’t think anyone would deny that.”

Jacob encouraged students to stay safe at BSD.