Gilchrist "whored out"

Editor, the Gauntlet,

As a U of C alumni I am shocked at the actions of Students' Union President Jayna Gilchrist in accepting cigarette sponsorships of SU events. During a time when Health Canada is struggling to educate Canadians of the harmful effects of smoking on health, as well as the burden placed on our healthcare system, it is completely and utterly irresponsible to become a mouthpiece for the cigarette industry. Gilchrist has effectively "whored out" the SU to the big money of the cigarette corporations.

Unfortunately this is not the only serious debacle the SU is facing.

The unwillingness to facilitate in the creation of a Women's Centre on campus is unbelievable. Campuses across Canada have recognized the marginalized position of women in academia and have established women's centres--why is the U of C SU dragging its heels and marginalizing the issue?

It is only necessary to look at the minuscule number of female scholars awarded to Canada Research Council Chairs or even the marginal number of female tenured faculty to realize sexual discrimination occurs right under your noses at the U of C, not to mention worldwide in much more serious matters such as sexual violence, trafficking in women, etc.

Gilchrist needs to seriously evaluate what she is doing in office. If her intention was to make a laughingstock of the U of C students and marginalize the issues facing her own sex then she has succeeded. I am ashamed to be a U of C alumni, the SU must be aware that scandals such as these seriously affect students' choice of university. If ridiculous moves such as these continue Gilchrist faces jeopardizing the U of C's credibility as a serious academic institution.

I completely agree. The SU is not thinking straight, probably because their executive has such poor leaders.

Get your facts straight:

"As a U of C alumni I am shocked at the actions of Students' Union President Jayna Gilchrist in accepting cigarette sponsorships of SU events."

The 61st SLC did not sign any deals with tobacco companies. That was done in previous years, and it was the actions of this year's executive that got us out of the deal early. That's what I call leadership.

People need to remember that Jayna is only one voice on the Students' Legislative Council. She can offer as much leadership as she can, but it's up to the rest of council to follow her.