Israel's wrongful treatment of Palestine

As time goes by and the list of injustices suffered by the Palestinians at the hands of Israel continues to grow, the psychosis riddling the Israeli state becomes increasingly apparent. Whether the continued violence and abuse can be attributed to malevolence or ignorance, willful or otherwise, a simple truth remains. Until the citizenry of Israel decide that they can no longer abide the continued persecution of the Palestinians, peace will never be achieved in the Holy Land.

Those who recognize the reprehensible treatment of Palestinians at the hands of Israel also recognize that it is the Israeli government's fault. In some ways this is true: the Israeli government does rain down death and destruction on Palestine. This death can come in the form of rockets fired at the Gaza Strip, or more slowly by the overwrought economic control Israel patently admitted to in a recently leaked cable. The cable describes Israel's intention to keep the economy in the Gaza Strip at the "lowest level" short of "a humanitarian crisis." And yet, a government is simply a reflection of its people.

Just as in any democracy, the leadership of Israel can only govern with the consent or silence of their constituents. If a majority is opposed to their actions, cessation is legally required. Even if democratic means are ignored, sheer numbers alone would allow

a majority to overthrow their government in the finest tradition of putting an end to unjust tyranny.

However, there is no popular Israeli uproar over the well documented actions of the Israeli regime, there is no widespread opposition.

see ISRAEL, page 12

At best it can be claimed that the majority of the Israeli population are ignorant of the crimes of their government and that the governing body is not a reflection of their beliefs and values. This is not good enough. Israel's leadership consistently drags its feet on land negotiations, demonstrating its refusal to accept anything but the borders of 1967, minus the Sinai Peninsula -- no one should be surprised when Zionist Israeli politicians pursue this by any means necessary. As for apathy, silence is no deterrent to men like Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman.

These are not the greatest concerns though, for there is an ever increasing growth of open and unrepentant discrimination within the population of Israel that clearly supports the oppression of those living in Palestine and the Gaza Strip. Recent surveys by the Israeli Democracy Institute show that one third of the population would support the forcible detainment of Palestinians in internment camps in the event of war with a neighbouring Arab state. Eighty per cent believe that only a Jewish majority should decide Israel's future political arrangement. This survey, the continued expansion of settlement, the economic suffocation of Gaza, and the regular murder of Palestinians by the Israeli military taken together highlight a deeply disturbing trend among the Jewish Israeli population.

The argument can be made that this hostility towards Palestinians as a whole has been brought on to a certain extent by the Palestinians themselves. It would be untrue to say that while Palestinians have suffered during the occupation, Israelis have not. For example, the 2009 Gaza War, in which between 1166 and 1417 Palestinians were killed, resulted in the deaths of 13 Israelis.

The fact of the matter is that the Israeli government and military have no qualms about the continued use of violence and repression as a means to expel Palestinians from their homes. A significant portion of the Jewish Israeli population either openly supports this, as indicated by polls, or does not care enough to oppose it. They fail to recognize the humanity of the Palestinians they persecute.

So long as America continues to provide Israel with weapons, funds and immunity from any legal repercussions, no foreign intervention short of war will end the oppression. Peace could be achieved, however, if the people of Israel ceased to lend their support to their apartheid government.

I\'m wondering what the usefulness of this article was. Who exactly does this article pretend to convert to its point of view? What new position or fact does it bring to the debate?
The writer doesn\'t actually engage in an analysis that would solve the problem, he simply deals in ultimatums and ridicule. Consider the following:
1.\"the psychosis riddling the Israeli state\"
2.\"And yet, a government is simply a reflection of its people\"

Using a basic syllogism, I\'ll reformulate his argument.

All governments are a reflection of their people.
The government of Israel is psychotic.
Author\'s conclusion: The people of Israel are psychotic.

It\'s fairly evident that the author simply doesn\'t want a peaceful solution to the conflict. Nobody ever established a lasting peace by calling the other side psychotic.

@Vince:

By that logic:
1. Western liberal democracies are *accurately* reflective of perhaps 25-50 percent of their people. The remainder voted for the non winners.
2. The government of Israel *accurately* represents at least the minority of their people that voted for the government.
Therefore, the minority of the people of Israel who want to live constantly under fear of terrorist attack and elect a government whose policies perpetuate a cycle of violence, are psychotic.

The author\'s desire, or not, for any particular solution for peace is inconsequential to Israel\'s outward inability to secure one for its people. Either it\'s an impotent military and diplomatic player in the region, or it\'s deliberately perpetuating a conflict that brings suffering from both sides.

Your comment about Western democracies is certainly correct - at least in Westminster systems. But I think that that defence belies the author\'s intention. His citation of the fact that it is an overwhelming majority of Israelis, based on multiple pollings, shows that his intention was to display a strong linkage between the two.

On another note, I would love an explanation as to how Israel is an impotent military and diplomatic player. Any country that consistently holds the attention of the U.S. state department on matters of foreign policy is certainly a major diplomatic player.

Please know I\'m not taking Israel\'s side here. I just find the author\'s intent (and oddly phrased wish for war) to be a little disturbing.

@Vince

That something draws attention does not necessarily imbue it with influence. A begging puppy also draws considerable attention.

If Israel exercised genuine power, it would not need constant US protection in international affairs. Israel would have dealt with the Palestinian conflict through diplomacy or military conquest years ago, if it could.

@Comment #4
It would be wrong to say that there is merely \"attention drawn to it.\" In paragraph 1, the author notes that it is incumbent on the people to rid the Israeli government of its supposed \'psychosis\'. In paragraph 2, the author notes it is the fault of the Israeli government that the conflict with Palestine exists, and that a government is a reflection of its people. In paragraph 3, the author proclaims that, in his opinion, the best possible perception of the state of affairs is one of ignorance or wilful blindness. In paragraph 4, the author references polls to make his point that it is the people that are supporting the supposed \'psychosis\'. In the last paragraph, the author speaks of Israelis supporting an \'apartheid\' government.

Trust me, I\'m fairly certain in saying that the intent of the article was to paint the Israeli people as psychotic - and I find that disturbing.