Letter: grateful graduate

Editor, the Gauntlet,

I am grateful to be graduating this spring so I will not be affected by the tuition increase, however, I do feel a responsibility towards my fellow peers and future graduates to speak up regarding this issue.

The reason I chose the U of C to complete my degree from, was mainly due to the excellent business program the university boasts about, small class sizes, and the excellent professors that are hired to teach. At least this is what I thought.

I must admit that I am extremely disappointed regarding several of the main business classes that I have been required to take, which, in my opinion, have been sub-par. This statement stems from instances where the class sizes have been so large that I have to sit on the floor in order to attend my lecture, or the professor is so disorganized that half of the lecture time is spent watching her attempt to explain a concept, only, because she is not prepared, she has to try repeatedly, the example ripe with revisions and mistakes.

So please explain to me, why, if this is an example of the kind of education I am getting, I should be required to pay potentially 46.5 per cent more per semester of tuition!? I suppose it would be so that when a certain unnamed professor, speaks down to me, a hardworking, honest student, when I do not understand a concept, in such a way that is condescending, insulting, and humiliating, I can be proud that I am paying top notch dollars to be a Haskayne student.

That being said, I want to pay for the education that I am getting . . . raise the bar and be careful about who you hire. Only then will I be amicable to paying a potential 46.5 per cent higher tuition that I currently am.

U of C does not have an excellent business program. Its MBA program was in the red and without good leadership for most of the most recent decade. The business school still routinely cancels upper-level courses for lack of enrollment due to poor marketing, leaving students and non-tenured instructors to fend for themselves through last-minute changes.

U of C instructors are not required to have teaching skills to teach at this institution. Even though your tuition goes in part to the Teaching and Learning Commons toward instructor preparation, instructors who need the program are not required to take it unless they score in the bottom 10 percentile in the teaching evaluations. Instructors are only rewarded if they score in the top 10 percentile. Instructors are thus encouraged to shoot for the 11th percentile.

I encourage you to have words with TUCFA and the GSA, the unions representing for-credit instructors, if you want changes to instructional quality.