Saddam is no Hitler

Editor, the Gauntlet: Letters

Re: "France pointing fingers in wrong direction," Feb 13, 2003.

Excuse me, but how can you compare Hitler-regime in Germany in the '30s and '40s to the regime in Iraq? Iraq is not as much a threat to the world as Hitler was. Considering the Second World War, France as well as Germany's behaviour toward Iraq indicates that both learnt their lesson. Both have experienced more than once what it means to have a war in their own country.

But, if you were not allowed to criticize someone because of your own mistakes of the past, the states should not criticize other countries, either: they used outlawed weapons in Vietnam, destroyed Indian culture in North America, used the Atomic bomb in Hiroshima, supported Saddam Hussein's war against Iran in the '80s.

If America is not out to kill Iraqi children, why don't they consider all other options for a solution before having a war? And, if you still haven't realized it, of course America will kill Iraqi children and women, as that is what war is about, killing other people!

Then what needs to be realized is that Hitler came to power in a country that was much worse off than Iraq ever was. I'd just like to throw out a couple points, and then let people draw their own conclusions.

1. Saddam has invaded countries surrounding Iraq. He says that all he wants to control is half the Arab world.

2. Saddam has killed over 3 million of his own people, kurds and others.

3. Saddam has his own youth program, where the youth are trained militarily.

4. Saddam has not allowed inspectors in his country.

5. Iraq is in much better position to become a superpower than Germany was after WWII.

The whole problem with Saddam is that he IS following in the steps of Hitler. As of yet he is not a super-powerful leader of a super-powerful country, but then again, Hitler wasnt either. History does repeat itself, so my question: Is Saddam a threat to repeating what Hitler has done? My answer is yes, but draw your own conclusion.