U-Pass does not anger reader

Editor, the Gauntlet,

I realize slamming the U-Pass is the "in" thing, but has anyone considered the fact that people actually use it?

The point everyone seems to be missing is that the U-Pass is, indeed, more than just a free train ride. It's the only way for a significant number of students to get to school without paying through the nose. Are people forgetting how much it costs to buy a vehicle in the first place, let alone to fuel, insure, park and maintain it? More importantly, are they forgetting that not everyone has time for a job because of their schedules? Of course, we could still take transit to school without the U-Pass, but why would anyone want to pay more than four times as much for the same service? Is that even close to logical?

No, the system isn't perfect. It would be far better if the people who drive to school could opt out somehow, even if it cost the rest of us a few dollars extra, but they can't. Ultimately, they should be working on solving that problem instead of trying to abolish the U-Pass altogether, because it's actually a good idea. It gives drivers a fallback in case they're ever stuck without their cars, and it's a relatively convenient way for everyone else to get around.

So before you dispose of such an "awful" service, why don't you take the time to actually talk to people? You might find someone that needs it.

After working with the University and Calgary Transit on this proposal, it is very apparent that neither the Univeristy or Calgary Transit want to work out the things you suggest. Rather, it 20% inflation, no improvements to the program.

Vote "no" if anything just to make it evident that students shouldn't have to put up with this shit.

The U Pass was an excellent idea, however CT saw those from the SU involved in its negotiation coming and walked away with one hell of a deal.

Something new should be negotiated, that doesn't rip off those students who never or rarely use transit during the school months, and doesn't grow faster than tuition.

The SU does not negotiate the U-Pass, University administrators do.

Why is there a referendum about keeping the U-Pass?? Why don't we have a referendum on other things like the gym pass, I know a lot of people who haven't used it, where are they?? The worst thing is when I hear kids whose parents pay for their tuition, car, gas, rent, etc. complain about this service, when other students are barely scraping by and need a deal like this.

There was a referendum because this way students can govern if they want a U-Pass program or not by direct democracy.

For instance, if it was left just to me, I think I would probably have got rid of the program. Students overwhelmingly support it, though, which we gauge through a referendum. Hence, the U-Pass program continues and it is not up to anyone like myself to improperly dictate anything that has not been held up to the scrutiny of the electorate.