Stress Less Week is back, ya turkeys

By Babur Ilchi, November 27 2014 —

Stress Less Week is coming back to campus Dec. 1.

This will be the second annual Stress Less Week, which replaced Nog Fest in 2012. Students’ Union vice-president student life Jonah Ardiel said students can chill out with a variety of activities offered throughout the week.

“We at the SU feel that this week has the purpose of allowing students an opportunity to relax for a few minutes before exams,” Ardiel said. “We have pet therapy three times. We’ve been having it monthly this year, but during Stress Less Week, we’re offering it on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.”

Other activities include destruction therapy — breaking stuff to let off steam — yoga, art therapy and Qigong.

Qigong is the practice of aligning body, breath and mind for health, meditation and martial arts training. Most activities will be held in MacHall’s south courtyard.

“De-stress kits” are also available at the SU office. SU representatives will hand them out throughout the week. Ardiel said they plan to hand out 1,500 kits during exams.

“[They’re] filled with stress relieving items like an apple or a granola bar, plus a little resource pamphlet with how to seek help or services with something else going on in their life,” Ardiel said.

Stress Less Week occurs twice a year, at the end of every semester in December and April.

“Exams are stressful and this is an outlet for you to relax before,” Ardiel said. “I encourage anybody to come out and enjoy it, as that’s what it’s meant for.”