Students’ Union seeks injunction to retain MacHall

By Fabian Mayer, November 19 2015 —

The Students’ Union is seeking an injunction to retain control of MacHall until its ongoing lawsuit with the university concludes. The matter appears before the Court of Queen’s Bench on Dec. 4.

The university is set to take over MacHall’s operation and revenue after their current operating agreement with the SU terminates on Dec. 9.

SU president Levi Nilson said the potential consequences of the SU losing MacHall caused them to seek the injunction.

“The terms that have been set forward by the university are so completely damaging to the SU that we think we have a strong case,” Nilson said.

A dispute between the university and the SU over who owns MacHall was first made public on Sept. 16. The SU filed a lawsuit against the university on Oct. 21.

The SU depends heavily on the revenue from operating MacHall to provide student services.

Following the university’s budget town hall on Nov. 18, provost Dru Marshall said the university taking control of MacHall would not impact student services.

“The intent is not to interrupt student services,” Marshall said. “The only thing I can say is that if this occurs we’ll have to demonstrate our words with actions.”

Nilson questioned the university’s ability to appropriately fund student services.

“They would parcel out that student money how they see fit, and we don’t trust them to do that effectively,” Nilson said.

Nilson believes the SU would have to make tough organizational decisions if an injunction is not granted, though he hopes it doesn’t come to that.

“What would happen with the current path that is set forward is completely against how things have worked for the past couple decades and we don’t see any reason for it,” Nilson said.

The university declined to comment on the injunction.