The Gig Club wants you kids to come jam with them

By Claudia Wong, January 22 2014 —

Ever feel like you need an outlet for your inner singer-songwriter? The Gig Club is your answer.

The 150-member-strong Gig Club started seven years ago under the name Busking for Smiles. The club usually jams in the Students’ Union’s club space. They also host open mic events every other Thursday.

Club president Matthew Gagnon said they host their open mic nights in That Empty Space as an alternative to Thursden.

“We wanted to give people an opportunity to actually engage in a socially friendly atmosphere that isn’t a bar,” Gagnon said.

They also host a new event called Shin Gigs to bring members together to play board games and hang out.

Gagnon said the club is about playing music and finding like-minded people to socialize with.

“We are trying to appeal to everyone. We don’t want just musicians. We want music enthusiasts or people who just want to be part of a community,” Gagnon said.

Former members have seen musical success outside the club, such as Norika Yue of the band From Birch to Yew.

Although the Gig Club focuses on the singer-songwriter genre, they have members who play the Celtic flute and flamenco guitar.

There is a banned-list of overplayed songs. Selections include the Neighbourhood’s “Sweater Weather,” Tom Petty’s “Free Fallin” and Oasis’ “Wonderwall.”

“To quote Nirvana, ‘come as you are,’ unless you play ‘Wonderwall,’” Gig club board of directors member Milan Vittese.

Along with singing, the club offers guitar lessons for either $10 per hour or $50 per semester. Club membership costs $5.