We should care more about fashion

By Chase Little, April 2 2015 —

When we look at the world of fashion, we should see a realm of possibilities, inspiration and creative freedom.

Fashion is a refuge. It’s more than a way of presenting ourselves to the world, it’s a way of channeling how we feel about ourselves.

Clothing is an extension of our personalities, emotions and experiences. It reflects how we feel at any given moment of our lives.

Whether or not we want to acknowledge it, people judge us based on how we look. Our clothing stands as a visual marker of who we are and what we’re interested in, which can make taking fashion risks scary. But embracing stylistic quirks and wearing what makes you happy shows people you’re comfortable being yourself.

When you look good, you feel good. In taking pride in your appearance, you’re presenting the best and most confident you.

The girl who is always wearing pyjama pants to class might get better grades, but someone who looks put together is more likely to make a good first impression. As Vogue editor-in-chief Anna Wintour once said, “If you can’t be better than your competition, just dress better.”

However, not everyone shares this opinion. Many people are afraid of fashion. They see it as superfluous, as a want more than a need. They wonder how someone could be so unaware of poverty that they would spend $1,000 on a pair of Christian Louboutin pumps when there are many who can’t even afford a pair of decent shoes.

Although fashion can  be seen as a rejection of humility or a disregard for those less fortunate, this isn’t always the case.

Fashion can be a tool for charitable work, as seen in companies like Tom’s.

A stylish person doesn’t need to wear high-end clothing. Fashionable isn’t synonymous with expensive. Many of society’s most fashion-forward people are not strutting around in $1,000 shoes. You can look good in thrift store clothes. It’s all about imagination and embracing who you are and what you love.

Regardless of our skin colour, sexual orientation or the size of our ears, fashion is one thing that defines each individual as unique.

Think of an interest in fashion as the ultimate investment in every aspect of your life. Think of clothing as more than pieces of fabric.

If we harness the power of clothing to establish self-identity and self-affirmation, we can become the confident and positive individuals we need to be in order to achieve our goals.