Who’s Who in the SU: Faculty of Law Representative Dalal Souraya

By Kristy Koehler, November 12 2019—

In an effort to introduce new — or even continuing — students to representatives in the Students’ Union and in the Students’ Legislative Council, the Gauntlet is running the series, ‘Who’s Who in the SU.’ We introduced you to the executives, now let’s meet the Faculty Representatives. Faculty of Law Representative Dalal Souraya tells her story.

The Gauntlet: What do you do in your role?

Dalal Souraya: As the law representative, I act as a liaison between the students and the faculty. My role focuses on advocating for my fellow law students and the students at large. This involves listening to possible concerns, issues, and ideas, and working to implement solutions. I also act as a bridge for prospective law students so that they have a better idea of all that which our law school has to offer.

G: Why did you run for law rep?

DS: The University of Calgary has been the only school I have attended since I started my undergraduate degree back in 2013. I have a special place in my heart for this school and I wanted to give back in some way. Also, when I started law school, I noticed that many current law students didn’t go to U of C for their undergraduate degree and I felt that there was a disconnect between our faculty and the rest of the school. I wanted to do something where I could show my fellow colleagues everything our school has to offer and running as the Law Representative seemed like the best way to do that.

G: What do you plan to do within your role?

DS: As I mentioned, I really want to promote and emphasize all the great opportunities and resources our university and the Student Union has to offer. Additionally, I would especially like to advocate heavily for mental health awareness within our faculty. This involves acquainting my fellow colleagues with helpful resources as well as wellness events that the Students’ Union organizes such as Pet Therapy and Yoga in The Space.

I would also like to find a way to establish more food options in and around our building. For me, improving overall health in my faculty also means providing better food options. Currently, the only food vendor in our building is a Tim Hortons location which means the line-up can get very long. Not only does this cause some of our students to miss a meal, it also takes away valuable time during our breaks which we could be using to relax and de-stress. I hope to find an alternative so that my colleagues and I have more (and healthier) food options to choose from and so that we are better able to use the time in-between our classes to wind down. Overall, I want to help my faculty in any way I can. This includes promoting and finding funding for all the great programs we have. I also want to support the students with any ideas and/or changes they might like to see.

G: A year from now, when you are done your position, what do you want to look back on and see?

DS: I hope to look back and see that I’ve accomplished what I set out to do — that I enhanced and contributed to my faculty and the rest of the University of Calgary campus in some way. I hope that I will be able to say that I helped my fellow colleagues and made their time here a little easier.

G: What’s one thing that you’ve learned now that you wish you had learned in the past?

DS: I am still very new to this role, so I think I am definitely still learning. If there is anything, I think it’s that I shouldn’t be afraid to put myself out there. What I have learned thus far is that one second of courage really can lead to amazing opportunities. I want to remind myself (and whoever is reading this) that it’s okay to be uncomfortable at times because that’s when growth begins to take place. Also, I would like to remind myself that if I want to be the best representative for my faculty then I have to ensure that I am grasping new opportunities when I can because my position really is bigger than just me.

G: How can students get in contact with you if they need you?

DS: Students can get in contact with me anytime through email at lawrep@su.ucalgary.ca or by phone. I also encourage anyone that sees me around campus to stop me and ask their questions, as I would love to meet fellow students in person!

Read about your other elected representatives here.