Letter to the editor: “An Open Invitation to Climate Dialogue”

Much discussion has emerged recently regarding the link between climate change and human activity. As faculty members from across the province engaged in focused research, we feel that it is our responsibility to share our research and invite conversation about the impact of present and future human actions. 

Collected evidence overwhelmingly demonstrates a destructive human footprint on Earth, with this footprint growing more impactful since the 1980s. 

The ways we produce, consume, and dispose of resources – for transportation, trade, food, fashion, housing, and communication – are unsustainable. Our practices need to change if we want to ensure future well-being for both humans and other species. 

Currently, thousands of researchers from all over the globe – including many here in Alberta – offer concepts and evidence that address current problems and propose viable solutions. Without question, this collected evidence demonstrates that our current practices put us all at substantial risk. We urge dialogue and action that help us shift toward economic, lifestyle and democratic actions that foster long-term benefit for future generations. 

[hr gap=”1″]

Ann-Lise Norman, Professor, Physics & Astronomy and Environmental Science, University of Calgary 

Melanie Kloetzel, Associate Professor, School of Creative and Performing Arts (Dance), University of Calgary 

Gwendolyn Blue, Associate Professor, Department of Geography, University of Calgary

[hr gap=”1″]

L. E. Adkin, Professor, Political Science and Environmental Studies, University of Alberta

B. Barton, Professor and Director, School of Creative and Performing Arts, University of Calgary

S. J. Birchall, Assistant Professor, School of Urban and Regional Planning, University of Alberta 

V. I. Birss, FRSC, FECS, FCIC, CRC Chair, Professor, Department of Chemistry, University of Calgary

M. S. Boyce, Professor, Ecology and Alberta Conservation Association Chair in Fisheries & Wildlife, University of Alberta

B. Brown, Professor, Philosophy and Arts & Science, University of Lethbridge

J.A. Brown, Associate Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, University of Calgary

C. Brubaker, Assistant Professor, School of Creative and Performing Arts (Drama), University of Calgary

J. Buriak, Canada Research Chair, FRSC, Professor, Department of Chemistry, University of Alberta

J. Byrne, Professor, Department of Geography, University of Lethbridge

V. Campbell, Associate Professor, School of Creative and Performing Arts (Drama), University of Calgary

R. Cartar, Professor, Department of Biological Sciences, Natural Sciences Program, University of Calgary

T. Chivers, Professor Emeritus, Department of Chemistry, University of Calgary

D. Davidson, Professor, Department of Resource Economics and Environmental Sociology, University of Alberta

P. Dolata, Associate Professor, Department of History, University of Calgary

K. Du, Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, University of Calgary

B. Else, Associate Professor, Department of Geography, University of Calgary

E. Enkelmann, Assistant Professor, Department of Geoscience, University of Calgary

M. F. Forcier, Assistant Professor, School of Creative and Performing Arts (Dance), University of Calgary

J. Gailer, Professor, Department of Chemistry, University of Calgary

M. Gismondi, Professor, Sociology and Global Studies, Athabasca University

C. Gomes da Rocha, Assistant Professor, Department of Physics & Astronomy, University of Calgary

J. E. Greer, Professor, History of Art, Design and Visual Culture, Department of Art & Design, University of Alberta

R. Haluza-DeLay, Associate Professor, Department of Sociology, The King’s University

L. L. Hanson, Associate Professor and Programme Coordinator, Environmental Studies, Athabasca University

Harlick, Instructor, Department of Physics & Astronomy, University of Calgary

T. Harrison, Professor, Department of Sociology, University of Lethbridge

J. Heilman, Professor, Department of History and Classics, University of Alberta

Heyne, Associate Professor, Department of Chemistry, University of Calgary

W. Hobill, Professor, Department of Physics & Astronomy, University of Calgary

M. Hogan, Assistant Professor Communication Media Film, University of Calgary

W. N. Holden, Associate Professor, Geography/Environmental Science Program, R.A. Canadian Institute of Resources Law, University of Calgary

S. Holman, Associate Professor, Journalism, Mount Royal University

G. Hvenegaard, Professor, Environmental Science and Geography, University of Alberta

L. Hynes, Assistant Professor, School of Creative and Performing Arts (Music), University of Calgary

H. Jiskoot, Associate Professor, Department of Geography, University of Lethbridge

B. Karchewski, Instructor, Department of Geoscience, University of Calgary

S. J. Kenny, Assistant Professor, Faculties of Kinesiology and Arts (School of Creative and Performing Arts; Dance), University of Calgary.

N. Keough. Associate Professor. School of Architecture Planning and Landscape, University of Calgary

S. W. Kienzle, Professor, Department of Geography, University of Lethbridge

M. Kim, Professor, Science Education, University of Alberta 

G. Kits, Associate Professor, Economics, King’s University

S. Larter, Canada Research Chair, RFS, Associate VP Research, University of Calgary

Lawton, P. Geoph., FGC, Professor Emeritus of Geophysics, Department of Geoscience University of Calgary

B. Lanoil, Associate Professor, Department of Biological Sciences, University of Alberta

S. Marshall, Professor, Department of Geography, University of Calgary

B. Miller, Professor, Department of Geography, University of Calgary

B. Moorman, Professor, Department of Geography, University of Calgary

Musgrove, Instructor, Department of Chemistry, University of Calgary

Nichols, Associate Professor, Department of Humanities, Mount Royal University

K. A. Peacock, Professor, Department of Philosophy, University of Lethbridge

S. Peric, Associate Professor, Anthropology and Archaeology, University of Calgary

W. Piers, Professor, FRSC, FCIC, FRSC (UK) Department of Chemistry, University of Calgary

G.G. Pyle, Professor and CAIP Chair in Aquatic Health, Dept. of Biological Sciences, University of Lethbridge

M. Reid, Professor, Biological Sciences (Ecology) & Environmental Science, University of Calgary

Robinson, Senior Instructor Emeritus, Department of Chemistry, University of Calgary

M. Rosol, Canada Research Chair, Associate Professor, Geography, University of Calgary

N. Russell, Instructor, Department of Sociology, University of Calgary

N. Sandblom, Senior Instructor, Natural Sciences Program, University of Calgary

M. Sharp, FRSC, Professor, Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, University of Alberta

Shugar, Associate Professor, Director, Environmental Science Program, Department of Geoscience, University of Calgary

M. Stewart-Harawira, Professor,  Indigenous, Environmental and Global Studies, Faculty of Education,  Director, Traditional Medicine Council, Integrative Health Institute, University of Alberta

M. Strous, Professor, Department of Geoscience, University of Calgary

Szeman Adjunct Professor English. University of Alberta (Full Professor, Waterloo)

S. Trudel, Associate Professor, Department of Chemistry, University of Calgary

M. Truscello, Associate Professor, Department of English, Mount Royal University

M. Ullyot, Associate Professor, English, University of Calgary

J. R. Vokey, Professor, Psychology, University of Lethbridge

C. Williams, Professor, Department of Women & Gender Studies and Department of History, Director, Center for Oral History & Tradition, University of Lethbridge

S. Wilson, Professor & Associate Director Research, Sustainability Council, University of Alberta

J. Yackel, Professor, Department of Geography, University of Calgary

V. Zaremberg, Associate Professor, Biological Sciences Department, University of Calgary