Photo by Jarrett Edmund

Campus Food Bank issues emergency plea for donations

By Gayathri Peringod, September 30 2019—

The Students’ Union Campus Food Bank has issued an emergency plea for donations. The SU’s media release states that the campus Food Bank has experienced a “huge increase in demand over the last two weeks,” reporting increased usage of its resources by international students.

“Between Aug. 1 and Sept. 15, 83 students accessed the SU Campus Food Bank’s services, a 46 per cent increase from the same period in 2018,” the release states. It goes on to add that international students make up over 78 per cent of the food bank’s clients on campus.

The SU says that the increasing number of international students accessing the Food Bank’s resources is the determining factor in prompting the SU to advocate for changes during the federal election, pointing to the limitations international students face as imposed by the federal government.

These include the restriction that international students can only work for a maximum of 20 hours, preventing them from being considered for most internships and co-op placements.

Photo courtesy of Gene Baines

“The increased financial burden on international students who are unable to work due to these study permit restrictions is an issue that we hope will be addressed by the incoming government,” says Jessica Revington, Students’ Union President.

Janice Jiang, co-coordinator of the Food Bank, is hopeful that the community will donate needed items. 

“We’re very proud of the work that we do on campus,” says Jiang. “We know that these are trying economic times, but every donation helps, no matter how big or small!”

The Food Bank is especially in need of non-perishable donations such as pasta, canned meats and soup. Information on how to donate and a wish list of other high-demand items can be found online.